Monitoring, Control and Surveillance of Fisheries Development (MCSD)
The Department of Monitoring, Control and Surveillance and Development of Fisheries Development (MCSD) is based outside of headquarters, in Banjul, Republic of The Gambia. It is in charge of planning and implementing monitoring, control and surveillance activities for collaborative management of fisheries in the SRFC region. It includes a Coordination Unit for Fisheries Surveillance Operations (UCOS).
The MCSD Department is responsible for organizing and monitoring fisheries surveillance. It also makes certain that the MCS system is tailored to ensure coordinated fisheries management in the SRFC region. Its activities consist of the following:
- Organisation and monitoring of sub-regional surveillance operations
- Plan sub-regional surveillance operations
- Organise and monitor operations
- Organise debriefing sessions and prepare reports
- Manage and coordinate resources of the various administrations for fisheries surveillance
- Support to Member States for capacity strengthening in the area of surveillance
- Ensure training of personnel from Member States on the organization and conduct of marine surveillance missions
- Ensure that fishing vessels are effectively marked according to FAO specifications
- Strengthen the capacities of national staff
- Assist Member States in the establishment of national registers of fishing vessels
- Development of regional fisheries surveillance tools
- Prepare and update, on a regular basis, a sub-regional register of fishing vessels operating in maritime waters under the jurisdiction of SRFC Member States.
- The search for IUU fishing vessels intensifies in the area SRFC. More...
- Measuring the tonnage of industrial fishing vessels in the SRFC zone: regional training to improve the fight against IUU fishing. More..
- Workshop to present the findings of the consultation on the sub-regional register of fishing vessels including the list of IUU fishing vessels, the information exchange protocol and the sub-regional observers. More...
- Meeting of the Technical monitoring, control and surveillance committee for fisheries development including legal experts as well as the regional and national coordinators of the West African Regional Fisheries Programme (WARFP). More...
Campaign to disseminate two Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) strategic documents: Broad consultations to strengthen sub-regional co-operation in MCS, and set up a sustainable funding system for MCS activities in the SRFC area. More...
- Monitoring, control and surveillance: workshop to train observers of SRFC Member States. More...
- Workshop on the fight against illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing (IUU). More...