Program "Improvement of regional fisheries governance in West Africa" (PESCAO) - component 2.
The Sub-Regional Fisheries Commission (SRFC) will complete in April 2021 the 3rd year of the implementation of Component 2 of the PESCAO Program funded by the European Union. This program made it possible, among other things, to organize joint sub-regional fisheries surveillance operations with satisfactory results. Also, a significant number of fishing vessels have been inspected with the effective involvement of the structures in charge of monitoring, control and surveillance of fisheries (MCS) of the SRFC member states.
The main objective of the meeting was to strengthen the dialogue between the national MCS structures of the Member States and to identify the prospects for the organization of joint sub-regional fisheries surveillance operations in the current context of the Covid19 health crisis.
The following points were discussed during the meeting:
- PESCAO Year 2 Activity Implementation and Budget Assessment;
- dialogue between the national MCS structures of the Member States;
- planning of surveillance operations and Year 4 activities;
- the organizational arrangements for these operations in the context of the Covid19 health crisis;
- the reservations expressed by Mauritania on the draft MCS convention.
The GT-SCS Working Group issued a series of recommendations for the attention of the statutory bodies of the SRFC.
Congratulations were sent to the entire team of the Permanent Secretariat and particularly to the Permanent Secretary for the availability and consideration brought to the attention of the participants of the MCS Working Goup in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic.